Imagine for a moment that you are presented with an opportunity to make an investment – a real estate investment in an amount that suits your budget, your risk tolerance level and your desire to make a meaningful contribution to your community. As with any investment, there is no guarantee of immediate profit. There is, however, the comfort that comes from knowing that real estate has historically proven to be the most lucrative asset available to everyday investors. IMBY is revolutionizing the real estate industry by opening doors to all those would-be investors who thought they were blocked from realizing their dreams due to lack of capital and lack of time to find and manage the right property.
The best thing about starting to invest through IMBY is that you will never be alone. You will be partnered in your venture with experienced investment professionals who have done the hard work of thoroughly vetting property conditions and history, current income and expenses and, most importantly, the potential for income and appreciation. All you need is a small amount of investment capital (and we do mean “small”) and an understanding that today’s global economy demands a new paradigm – a new model that reflects our rapidly-changing world. The hard, cold truth is that until recently, real estate investing seemed out of reach for most of us. The conventional wisdom was that you needed tens or even hundreds of thousands of dollars to even get started. How is someone supposed to raise that kind of capital when you are already paying your own exorbitant rent or home loan while still paying off student debt? And who has the time to find good properties when you are already working full-time?
At IMBY, we are all about removing the traditional barriers facing investors. We are democratizing real estate investing so that anyone can start building a real estate portfolio today. Think of it as crowdfunding for investment properties where we all can share in the returns. Here are the important “Basics” as to how we make it happen:
- Fully-vetted properties are listed on IMBY’s user-friendly, online marketplace. IMBY has already purchased the property in cash (without a mortgage) and performed all standard due diligence tasks – property reports, title examination reviews, etc. Investors set up a free account that allows them to test the waters.
- IMBY retains 51% ownership in each of the properties. The remaining 49% is made available to investors who are free to stake as little or as much as they want to. Start with as little as $1 and you can own a share in a property. As the property appreciates in value, so does the share value.
- The reason that IMBY retains 51% ownership is because we take care of all the details from the purchase of the property to property management to deciding when the best time is to sell or develop.
How do we pick properties so that you make money?
IMBY invests in low-risk properties in up and coming neighbourhoods with solid growth potential – properties we can truly be proud of. In fact, every tenant in the buildings we acquire will be able to invest in the building they live in — even if it’s only $1. We feel that investor-tenants will take just that much better care of the place they live in if they have a stake in the success of the property.
Our investing philosophy is pretty simple. We invest in low-risk multi-family properties that meet the following criteria:
- Has development potential
- Has a positive cashflow
- Has a minimum 4-6% a year ROI (Return on Investment)
- Requires that less than 10% of the purchase price go toward renovations and upgrades
IMBY’s team takes care of everything for you, working with one of Canada’s top law firms to draft purchase documents and file all paperwork to ensure the correct compliance with securities regulations.